Monday, July 25, 2011

the ghost in you

"Residue"
16x20 - oil on canvas


This piece is a little different than my normal pieces. And this piece was one that I felt I was pushing to keep how I saw it in my head. 
I wanted her to feel engulfed in darkness. 

This was another piece inspired by old photographs. 
Weve all seen the photos with "ghosts" in the photos. That look like there is just spot on the camera lens. Or the smokey looking room. 
I came across "ectoplasm" photos. 
Im not into the whole paranomal thing, and didnt actually know ectoplasm was a real term, I thought it was just some made up thing in Ghostbusters. 
So I came across some photos and found them interesting.
  ektos, (Greek) meaning "outside", and plasma, meaning "something formed or molded") 

Ectoplasm is said to be produced by physical mediums when in a trance state. This material is excreted as a gauze-like substance from orifices on the medium's body and spiritual entities are said to drape this substance over their nonphysical body, enabling them to interact in our physical universe.

like I said I dont personally believe in stuff like this, I just think its interesting.

The girl in the piece isnt exactly possessed by a spirit or anything like that. I feel the ectoplasm represents being haunted by your inner ghosts and the release of them.
I think maybe too I was compelled to do this piece, because I was in a subconscious purging while working on all these pieces.

No comments: