Wednesday, October 3, 2012

flying kites at night

so our show is this Saturday, and with the completion of all the pieces I wanted to give an explanation to the theme I have going on. 

I know most of the pieces come off as pretty somber.
And Im very aware that I didnt do a good job at making sure they didnt look somber.
That was my intention. 
The thing is that, darkness is a necessary part of life. It isnt up to us if we except it or not, Its there, and that is perfectly fine. And for the first time in my life I actually understand that. 
We all fight to ensure that life is trouble free. We never want to hurt.
But there would be no growth if we didnt have trials and adversity.
Just like we immunize our children to strengthen their bodies. We inject the very thing we try to protect them from, for future immunity.
Just like we run, climb or swim, we push our muscles, they tear and rebuild.

I mentioned before, these pieces started from looking at paper dolls. 
As children we are the same, we are thin and fragile, mold-able, little damages easily overlooked. 
We are dressed and posed in our environment. 
I think that people dont realize, even though children's young minds dont understand, say, certain words or situations, that the children themselves are aware that they dont understand. And that, that confusion will lay and abide there until our adult minds bring it to the surface and deal with it.   

These pieces are a sequence, more of a story I suppose. 
There is a beginning and a end. 
And the most important point to all of these pieces, is that any ending can be happy, if you want it to be, and if you let it be. 

I was debating on whether or not to do such a post, but I felt it was important so there was no misconception. 
I know I have a steady record of doing pieces that lean on the dark and gloomy. 
And though I dont think that will go away anytime soon...I have gotten a better understanding of the things that live in those dark places.






No comments: